[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 14 05:46:09 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> David Fraser wrote:
>
>> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Just to add to all the other answers:
>>
>> Don't just complain, submit patches and work at keeping them
>> maintained. If this is done for a while it may be more of an argument
>> for having them included
>

> I do not "just complain".
>
> I've spend already hours with writing down the questionaire [which you
> have successfully ignored].

Why don't you spend hours writing code and submitting working patches,
instead? That's what I did years ago in the original effort to get mingw
to compile Python extensions (one of the, woefully out-dated, web-pages
you cite is mine. I have now edited it to clarify the situation so
others do not come away from it as you did).

Just writing "questionnaires" *is* actually "just complaining."

The answer to most of your questions is, "Because no one has yet
volunteered their time and effort to get the job done."

If this is important to you, you need to step up yourself and get it
done and not expect other people to volunteer their unpaid time to
satisfy your whims.

The open source Python community is driven by volunteerism, not a sense
of entitlement. If this does not appeal to you, then perhaps the Python
community is not the right one for you.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu