Best IDe

Jaime Wyant programmer.py at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 21:31:55 EST 2005

I demo'd wing ide and have to say it's the best commercial offering.
The only other one I'm aware of is Komodo and it really can't touch
Wing.

But for me, wingide was slugish.  I have a 1/2 gig of memory and a
pretty hefty CPU - i think its a 1.6 Pentium M [it's a company issued
laptop -- so im not sure of the specs].  I found that as  wing tried
to autocomplete identifiers in large name spaces that it would take a
second or so.  This was really painful when working with wxPython.

What wing does have going for it is a REALLY good auto-completion
system.  Yeah it's slow, but its good.  You wing hints as to what
objects are by using isinstance().  For example, the code below tells
wing that frame is a wx.Frame ->

# make_frame returns a wx.Frame
frame = make_frame()

isinstance(frame, wx.Frame)

Once wing has a hint, it'll autocomplete the methods / properties for
you.  But again, it is slow.

As far as free software goes, I really like stani's python editor.  It
seems to *watch* methods that you call on an object and autocomplete
based on that.  For example suppose it sees this code:

# make another wx.Frame
frame = make_frame()
frame.method1()
frame.method2()

# Below, stani will autocomplete showing you method1 and method 2.
# No they aren't valid wx.Frame methods!
frame.

HTH,
jw