Where are list methods documented?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Feb 1 12:59:22 EST 2005

On 2005-02-01, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Grant Edwards]
>> I'm trying to figure out how to sort a list, and I've run into
>> a problem that that I have tripped over constantly for years:
>> where are the methods of basic types documented?
>
> The methods on mutable sequence types are documented in the
> Library manual's section on mutable sequence types:
>
>     http://docs.python.org/lib/typesseq-mutable.html

> You could have found the above by, e.g., looking up "sort" in the
> Library manual's index.

I did.  I looked up sort in the library index, and it took me
to 3.3.5 Emulating container types, which said:

   Mutable sequences should provide methods append(), count(),
   index(), extend(), insert(), pop(), remove(), reverse() and
   sort(), like Python standard list objects.

I also looked at quite a few "list" links in the index.

I don't think it's at all obvious that the documentation for
list.sort would be under "mutable sequence object".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! Everybody out
                                  at               of the GENETIC POOL!