Why doesn't join() call str() on its arguments?

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Feb 17 09:50:46 EST 2005

In article <873bvw9nqh.fsf at localhost.localdomain.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>,

!

Nick Vargish  <nav+posts at bandersnatch.org> wrote:
> If a non-string-type has managed to
>get into my list-of-strings, then something has gone wrong and I would
>like to know about this potential problem.

Thinking about where I use join(), I agree. If there's something
other than a string in my list, either I know about it and can
explicitly convert it ("Explicit is better than implicit.") or
it's an error, and "Errors should never pass silently."

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"