List mapping question

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Fri Feb 4 05:18:48 EST 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:27:05 -0500, rumours say that Marc Huffnagle
<mhuffnagle at knowtechnology.net> might have written:

>Thanks ... so there's no way to pass an actual variable into a list
>mapping, instead of its value?  I guess I'm thinking of something the
>equivalent of call by reference.

No, there is no way (the way you mean it).  Python variables are 'names', not
'lvalues'.  Everything in Python is an object, and you just name objects.

By doing

a = 1

you are just giving the name 'a' in the current namespace to the integer object
with value 1.

PS this might confuse you, but in python, all function calls are by value, and
all values passed are references to objects.

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=group%3Acomp.lang.python+value+reference
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.