Is there a market for python developers?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 4 08:29:13 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> 2) Can using Python make you more marketable as a programmer?
> Certainly it can.  You can often get things done faster in Python than
> in other languages, and getting things done always helps your
> marketability.  Lots of times the customer just needs to get some task
> completed, and they don't care whether you use Python or some other
> language.  And using Python can result in such a big productivity gain
> as to really help you score points with your employer or customer.

Hear, hear! I'm primarily working as a hardware interface engineer, yet a lot of
the code I write at the moment is in Python. . .

Why?

Because I can write powerful test apps *really* quickly, and nobody really cares
what language they're written in (the important thing is whether or not the
hardware is doing the right thing, and Python makes it possible to automate both
the execution of the tests and the post-analysis of the generated data).

Cheers,
Nick.