[Fwd: [gnu.org #220719] Re: python and gpl]

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Fri Feb 4 17:37:02 EST 2005

Tim Churches wrote:
 > Can't get much clearer than that.

Whoops! Sorry about all the embedded HTML links, making it most unclear.
Here is the relevant Australian law in a clearer form:

>      COPYRIGHT ACT 1968 (as amended by the Copyright Amendment Act
>      2000) - SECT 47B
>
> *Reproduction for normal use or study of computer programs*
>
>             (1)   Subject to subsection (2), the copyright  in a
> literary work  that is a computer program  is not infringed by the
> making of a reproduction of the work  if:
>                     (a)   the reproduction  is incidentally and
> automatically made as part of the technical process of running a copy
> of the program for the purposes for which the program was designed; and
>                     (b)   the running of the copy  is done by, or on
> behalf of, the owner or licensee of the copy .
>             (2)   Subsection (1) does not apply to the making of a
> reproduction of a computer program:
>                     (a)   from an infringing copy of the computer
> program ; or
>                     (b)   contrary to an express direction  or
> licence  given by, or on behalf of, the owner of the copyright in the
> computer program to the owner or licensee of the copy from which the
> reproduction is made when the owner or licensee of that copy acquired it.

I see no express directions or other provisions in the GPL which would
invoke section 47(2). Indeed, the GPL says: "The act of running the
Program is not restricted".

Tim C