Stable GUI

Lars lars-www at lycos.com
Thu Feb 17 04:25:40 EST 2005

I've used Tkinter quite extensively for various tools, but never for
anything big. I believe it will work nicely for a data input type of
application. I don't  know if you'll experience significant "lag" when
updating app-windows on old pentiums, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Mind you, the machines should have a decent amount of ram (I guess
around 128 mb and upwards is reasonable).
The only problem I've ever encountered was with updating Tk widgets
from threads in a threaded app - it won't work. The solution was
nothing worse than using an output queue, and having an event check the
output buffer every second or so.

The Tcl/TK crowd probably have more extensive experience with using Tk
and Tix for bigger long running apps, maybe you can ask them for more
info?

Good luck with your app!
Lars