coding conventions, PEP vs. practice

Roman Roelofsen r.roelofsen at tuxed.de
Tue Jan 4 19:50:43 EST 2005

Dear python-list,

while looking for some coding conventions for python programs, i found the
PEP8 at http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html. It defines the rules very
well and leaves no space for interpretations. I guess thats a good thing :-)
But when i started playing a bit with python and frameworks like Zope,
Webworks, etc., i noticed, that a lot frameworks are using a different
convention for methodnames.

These frameworks are using "mixedCase" but PEP8 suggests
"lower_case_with_underscores" except "in contexts where that's already the
prevailing style" which is not the case here IMHO.

So, are there any specific reasons for breaking the rules here? I think
consistent conventions are very important. Being a Java developer in the last
couple of years, i learned how practical it can be to have only one naming
style.

Best regards,

		Roman