Python evolution: Unease

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 6 00:37:10 EST 2005

Mike Thompson wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:

>>> I would like to seee Eric3, with some polish & opensourced on Win
>>> (which means solving the Qt licensing problem). Perhaps someone could
>>> convince Trolltech to release a special Qt Win version just for it
>>> (Eric3). Eclipse is also an interesting approach.
>>

>> I love eric3, but if you're an eclipse fan, look at enthought's
>> "envisage" IDE -- it seems to me that it has superb promise.
>>

> I've tried both the SciPy and Enthought WWW sites and I can't find much
> on "Envisage". At SciPy.org there is one set of powerpoint slides on it
> but nothing more.
>
> Is it available for download somewhere?

Alex is, I think, jumping the gun a bit. Envisage isn't quite ready for
prime time as your day to day IDE. It might be useful to you right now
as a platform to build a dynamic GUI application (Envisage's intended
use) if you are willing to get your hands dirty and help us build
Envisage. Hence, it is not being advertised widely.

But Alex is right; Envisage does hold a lot of promise.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter