Relocatable binary installs....

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 31 13:55:34 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> friedmud at gmail.com wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to make a relocateable python binary... that is... a
>>python installation that won't care where it is on the machine... and
>>won't care if it gets put somewhere else besides /  ?
>

> the standard CPython interpreter is 100% "relocatable".  If you think
> it isn't, you have to be a bit more specific.

Is it possible that you are using "relocatable" in the standard sense of
"code can be located anywhere in physical memory", where the OP is using
the same term to mean "can live anywhere in the filestore"?

I suspect the problem the OP is seeing is because the --prefix
configuration parameter will cause an interpreter to look in a specific
place for standard libraries. Clearly if you "relocate" the libraries to
another directory entirely then an interpreter without any further nouse
(and no symbolic links to help it) is going to crap out badly.

But I could be wrong.

always-prepared-to-at-least-admit-the-possibility-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119