Frameworks for "Non-Content Oriented Web Apps"

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 04:10:00 EST 2005

<mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Moreover, I recently saw Dabo(http://www.dabodev.com/about), a
> framework for developing 3 tier apps with Python and wxPython(and other
> supported GUI toolkits). I have not tried it but I think something
> similar, but for web-apps, is a close definition of "A Framework for
> Non-Content Oriented Web Apps".

Once you're on a multilayer track, whether the presentation is on the
web or on some other UI should just be an issue for the very last layer
(closest to the user).  That's definitely how we did things at AB Strakt
(www.strakt.com).  Of course, the web-based presentation layer will be
generally simpler/poorer than ones based on richer GUI toolkits -- as a
compensation, it may more easily be "skinnable" by using CSS and the
like, and it's way more easily _testable_ thanks to many good packages
for webpage-generators testing.

Alex