PyChecker messages

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Mon Jan 17 15:08:04 EST 2005

In article <1105983271.574296.37740 at c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Ben Sizer <kylotan at gmail.com> wrote:
>But you could use a dict of return values, or even just assigning a
>different return value in each if clause. The end result is that you
>have a single well-defined exit point from the function, which is
>generally considered to be preferable.

Well, no; I'm trying to say exactly that there are times when "a dict
of return values" only adds complexity.  Or perhaps I'm missing a bet-
way to code:

  def condition_label():
    if x13.fluid_level() > lower_threshhold:
      return "OK"
    if user in restricted_list:
      return "Ask for help"
    if not current_time.in_range(beginning, end):
      return "Uncorrectable exception reported"

When conditions live in a space with higher dimensionality than any
handy immutable range, no dict-ification is a benefit.