Python Operating System???

Paul Rubin http
Mon Jan 10 00:29:26 EST 2005

Arich Chanachai <macrocosm at fastmail.fm> writes:
> >  And I think Pypy is currently set up to compile Python
> >into Pyrex and then run the Pyrex results through GCC.
> >
> But of course, who's going to argue that Pyrex produces "compiled
> Python"?

Pyrex produces compiled Python in the same sense that asm produces
"compiled C".  PyPy contains a Python compiler which reads Python
source and produces Pyrex output.  The Pyrex output then gets compiled
by the Pyrex compiler and then the C compiler before ending up with
machine code.  There is nothing terribly bizarre about this kind of
compiler.  For example, Gnu Common Lisp compiles Lisp code into C,
then runs the C code through gcc.  For that matter, the Yacc/Bison
parser generators do something similiar.