Using ICL to compile C extensions

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jan 4 03:44:49 EST 2005

dayzman at hotmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can use "icl" (Intel C++) to compile C
> extensions? I'm on Windows, and my Python is compiled using VS7.1
> (binary distribution). Right now, when I run setup.py install, it uses
> cl.exe (MSVC++ Toolkit 2003), and I would like to use icl because
> MSVC++ 2003 does not support C99.

It should be possible to use this compiler, as long as you can link to
msvcr71.dll (i.e. as long as you have header files of the MS C library,
and an import library that links to msvcr71).

Whether you can use distutils to run the build process is a different
issue - you might need to extend distutils.

Regards,
Martin