extension module, thread safety?

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Wed Jan 19 03:07:59 EST 2005

David Bolen a écrit :
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at iinet.net.au> writes:
>
> And even before that it was certainly possible to call into the Python
> interpreter from a native thread using existing functions, albeit the
> newer functions are more convenient (and perhaps more robust, I don't
> know).
>
> My earliest interaction with Python (~1999, while writing a module
> that extended and embedded Python 1.5.2) used PyEval_AcquireThread()
> and PyEval_ReleaseThread() to get access to a thread state from a
> native C application thread (not initiated by the Python interpreter)
> to allow me to call safely into an executing Python script upon
> asynchronous data reception by the C code.
>
> -- David

Yes, now you mention this I remember trying to use these functions ! But
there is two problems with them (and only one is solved by the new
functions) ! The first problem is the dead lock is you try to acquire
the same thread twice. This implies a very low level use of these
function, and it can be a real pain to find where to put them without
risking this dead lock. This is no more a problem with the new
functions. But the second (and not solved) problem is: these functions
block the current thread when you try to get the GIL ! This is an issue
if you don't want your GUI thread to be blocked when a buggy module does
not release the GIL during long computations. I didn't find any function
like "test the state of the GIL and if it's free, then acquire it" !
And, IMO, it's missing ... Then, if python goes to a model where
critical sections are identified and the GIL acquired only there, all
these problems will disappear ! That's why I really hope Python 3 will
include this kind of thread support ...

Pierre