OCAMl a more natural extension language for python?

Jelle Feringa // EZCT / Paris jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Mon Jan 17 04:53:14 EST 2005

After reading about extending python with C/Fortran in the excellent Python
Scripting for Computational Science book by Hans Langtangen, I'm wondering
whether there's not a more pythonic way of extending python. And frankly I
think there is: OCAML

Fortunately there is already a project up and running allowing you to extend
python with OCAMl: http://pycaml.sourceforge.net/

Since I haven't got actual experience programming CAML I'd like to speculate
that OCAML would be a very pythonic way of extending python: its
open-source, object oriented, as fast as C, and ! garbage collecting!

Would making an effort integrating python & CAML not be very worthwhile?
I think an effort such as Joe Strouts python2c would be more relevant to a
language as CAMl since its conceptually more closer to python (how could you
automate programming memory allocation for instance)

So my question is: wouldn't there be some serious synergy in bringing python
& CAML closer together?

##of course this is speculation, I'm not informed well
##enough to make an educated guess

Interested in hearing your thoughts about this matter!

Cheers, Jelle.