future of computing languages

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 00:42:22 EST 2005

I found that page very shallow and superficial. What they
call "the language of the future" is actually the language
of the present. Python (but also, Ruby, Perl, Smalltalk, Lisp,
Scheme, ...) have already most of the features they list.

Then they claim "the language of the future will be so
different from the languages we have now that we cannot
imagine how it will be". This is pretty naive. A Lisper would
say that nothing new happened in the last 40 years.

Actually, I think that something new happened, but not that much.
The progress was more in the technology than in the
programming paradigms. I mean, OO was already there
in Simula. It this very possible that the language of 2045
will not be very different from the current dynamic languages.

The all page reminds me of the excitation of 60's about the
space program (affirmations such "in the year 2000 we will
have colonies on Mars") We all know how it ended :-(
Michele Simionato