Python evolution: Unease

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 05:55:08 EST 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Really, I just want to buy a new
> computer, turn it on, and have everything there.  That's generally
> impossible without running satanware from Redmond

The princes of insufficient light from Cupertino will in fact be very
happy to sell you such computers, and _their_ definition of "everything"
includes a bit more than the Redmonders' (e.g., Python is there, perl is
there, gcc is there, so is Apache, a good development GUI-based IDE,
emacs, a solid firewall, a _usable_ Terminal/commandline program to run
bash or tcsh on, ...), though it's no doubt still missing many pieces
that you or I might want as parts of *our* "everything" (gvim rather
than just vim, GUI/IDEs for Python, Python add-ons such as numarray,
gmpy, ctypes, ...) -- all of those you still have to download and
install, just as you would for the satanware.

Alex