Software archeology (was Re: Developing Commercial Applications in Python)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jan 7 16:05:43 EST 2005

In article <mailman.260.1105025818.22381.python-list at python.org>,
Stephen Waterbury  <golux at comcast.net> wrote:
>> eeykay at gmail.com writes:
>>>
>>>Can somebody there to point me any good commercial applications
>>>developed using python ?
>
>Also see Python Success Stories:  http://pythonology.org/success
>
>A notable example is Verity's search engine -- see
>http://python.oreilly.com/news/PythonSS.pdf

Actually, your statement is slightly inaccurate.  The Verity search
engine is more than fifteen years old in its core technology; it was
started as a LISP project at IIRC MIT.  (At one point I was much amused
to look at the C source code and find car() and cdr() functions.)  As of
my last information, Python isn't used at all in or with the Verity
search engine.  What you're referring to is the Verity Ultraseek engine,
originally written and owned by Infoseek before getting transferred to
Verity through a series of dot-bomb transactions.  The Ultraseek engine
doesn't use Python, but Python is used to control the engine, and I think
much of the spider is written in Python.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis