UserDict deprecated

Wolfgang tds at gmx.de
Sun Jan 2 18:07:14 EST 2005

Hello,

Alex Martelli wrote:

> The DictMixin class from the UserDict module is *not* deprecated -- only
> the UserDict class from the same module.  (If you found info saying
> otherwise pls provide a URL: the info is wrong and I'll try to get it
> fixed -- thanks!).  DictMixin's purpose is exactly as you state: letting
> you make a complete mapping class out of one which only supplies the
> very basics, by mix-in inheritance.

If UserDict is deprecated why is it still used in the os module ?
(in python V. 2.4)

The std lib should be a good example for python coding, if something
is deprecated it should not be used in the std lib.

Some weeks ago I had ten minutes of spare time and rewrote the 'os'
module to use dict and there was no problem with it.
But due to lack of time I was not able to run tests and submitted no
patch. I will try this next week.

bye by Wolfgang