Zen of Python

Carl Banks invalidemail at aerojockey.com
Wed Jan 19 18:24:10 EST 2005

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Bill> The example that occurs to me is that "import smtplib" is
better
>     Bill> than "import stdlib.inet.services.smtp".
>
> Sure.  There is a balance to be achieved however.  "import
std.smtplib"
> might be better than "import smtplib", simply because making the
standard
> library a package reduces the possibility of namespace collisions.

Yep.  "Reorganize the standard library to be not as shallow" is listed
right there in PEP 3000.  Notice, however, that it doesn't say,
"Reorganize the standard library into an intricate feudal hierarchy of
packages, modules, and cross-references." :)

The gist of "Flat is better than nested" is "be as nested as you have
to be, no more," because being too nested is just a mess.
--
CARL BANKS