python guy ide

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Jan 11 20:50:09 EST 2005

Kartic wrote:

>  SPE is great,
> but it stops responding when I try to run my wxPython apps (probably
> something I am doing!).

I don't know about SPE specifically, but this is a common issue with a
lot of lower-end IDEs.  The IDE is a GUI application, which operates
using an event loop.  If the IDE runs user code in the same process
that it runs in itself, and if that user code also contains some sort
of event loop, then the two loops will interfere with each other (or
rather, the first loop won't run until the inner loop quits, which
tends to make Windows unhappy...)

Most commercial IDEs, I believe, run user code in a separate process
and thus avoid this problem.  I *think* that IDLE now runs user code
out-of-process as well, but I'm not sure about that.

I can't afford to pay for an IDE for hobby purposes, so when I'm
writing GUI apps, I also keep a command shell open.  Edit, save,
alt-tab to command shell, uparrow-enter to run program...  not as
convenient as a toolbar button or hotkey, but it works.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International