Python evolution: Unease

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 13:05:37 EST 2005

Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> wrote:

> Alex, I think you are +10 for adding interfaces into Python. "Concept"
> is more compact word and I am sure it is not used as a name in existing
> projects, unlike other words.

Actually, I want protocols -- semantics (and pragmatics), too, not just
syntax (method names and signatures).  Eby's PyProtocols comes closest
to my desiderata (though it possibly exceeds them).  But if you start
coding a PyConcepts alternative to PyProtocols I'll be delighted to try
it out, contribute, &c -- I won't be a stickler for the name.  Indeed,
"protocol" is no doubt more overloaded, since it's an established name
in networking, and if you google for "protocol adaptation" you get a mix
mostly related to networking with a few examples of the way PEP 246 uses
the phrase thrown in;-).

Alex