What's so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 24 20:19:22 EST 2005

I was purposefully making an illogical statement to illustrate the lapse
in reason of Martin's statement. Users have crypto needs, not
applications. Applications are presumably not anthropomorphic enough to
have needs--hence the lack of logic.

However, I am not an application (as far as you or I know) and thus can
not truly speak to the needs of applications in general, if indeed they
have any.

Applications that lack features force users to accept a limited feature
set or they use an alternative program with other limitations. Putting
the possibility for cryptographic storage increases the utility of any
application that stores data, and it could be done without much work if
it were properly included in the core distribution. I have found it
amazing how few programs include encryption as an option. I believe this
is because its hard for programmers to include it and/or they falsely
reason that "if I don't need it, the user doesn't", which is up there
with "if I can't see them, then they can't see me" in terms of bad
logic.

James