Python evolution: Unease

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Wed Jan 5 02:05:54 EST 2005

    Paul> inclusion in some bigger distro.  E.g., I'm now running the
    Paul> Python Python into Fedora.  So it's up to the Python
    Paul> maintainers, not the Fedora maintainers or the user, to make
    Paul> sure that the Python distro has everything that users need,
    Paul> without further downloading.

To me, this seems to be the job for the Fedora maintainers, not Python
maintainers. If something essential is not in the distro the distro
maintainers have screwed up.

    Paul> And that was just about Tkinter, for which good docs exist
    Paul> but just don't happen to be in the distro.  How about

I think most people these days do a google search when they are
learning how to use a feature to get the whole story. It's often also
faster than finding the information in the bundled documentation -
even if the first google hit often happens to refer to the page with
the very documentation thu user would have looked up.

    Paul> The book is very good, but having to go buy a proprietary
    Paul> book is the opposite of what self-contained free software
    Paul> documentation is supposed to mean.

I'm not sure the free software documentation is going to evolve to be
more self-contained; the exact opposite is more likely.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb