Ann: CherryPy-2.0-beta released

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 3 16:36:36 EST 2005

remi at cherrypy.org wrote:
> Well, you can easily run CherryPy behind Apache (see
> http://trac.cherrypy.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/BehindApache).
> Since CherryPy provides a WSGI interface (although it's still
> experimental), you can also run your CherryPy app with any
> WSGI-compatible HTTP server (although I don't really see any advantage
> to doing this).

In the future when more WSGI environments are deployed, I think the
benefits will be nice.  For instance, under WSGIKit
(http://svn.colorstudy.com/trunk/WSGIKit) you should be able to create a
file:

   # cherry_app.py:

   from cherrypy import cpg, wsgiapp
   from my_cherry_app import root_instance
   cpg.root = root_instance
   wsgiapp.init()
   # This variable name is automatically picked up:
   application = wsgiapp.wsgiApp

Then your application would be available under cherry_app/ (wherever you
happened to put that file in the URL space).  Note that WSGIKit isn't a
server itself, just a set of middleware that delegates to different
applications.

It occurs to me that it would be considerably cleaner if it looked more
like this:

   from cherrypy import wsgiapp
   from my_cherry_app import root_instance
   application = wsgiapp.Application(my_cheery_app)

Otherwise you can only run one CherryPy application in a process...?
That would be very limiting.

Anyway, the idea is you can deploy a CherryPy-based application fairly
easily alongside other WSGI Python web applications.  The particulars
still need some work -- I don't like the little Python file used to put
the pieces together -- but I think it's a good direction.