compiler version mismatch when building ext_modules with MSVC

Bo Peng bpeng at rice.edu
Sun Jan 9 16:53:45 EST 2005

Dear list,

I was using autoconf/automake etc to build my python extension. Since
distutil seems to be easier, I have switched to this method. However,
when I build the module under windows, I am told that compiler version
mismatch... I am using msvc 7 and python was build by msvc 6.0.

I am not sure why compiler version matters here since

1. if proceed by removing corresponding lines in distutil, the generated
module works fine (as far as I can tell).

2. I am told that I can use minGW gcc ... Isn't mingw differ more with
msvc6 than msvc7?

3. I was using msvc7 (automake etc, not distutil) and everything was
fine. I was not even warned about potential problems.

Since there are many different Python out there (Official, ActivePython,
Enthough), do I have to figure out which compiler they use to build my
module for them? Currently, my MSVC7 built module works fine with all of
them.

Thanks.