hash patent by AltNet; Python is prior art?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Mon Jan 17 13:11:23 EST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

> I don't know the details  [...]

Neither do I, but...

> I'm also willing to bet that the patent won't
> hold up in court because there's quite a lot of prior art with respect
> to cryptographic hashes, too.

The problem with that is that someone needs to be able to *afford* to
challenge it in court.  Even patents that are blatantly non-original
on the face of things can be difficult and expensive to challenge.
Most companies would rather just avoid the legal risks involved in
making such a challenge, and most individuals can't afford the kind of
legal team that'd be necessary.

I'll join in encouraging Europeans to do their best to reject these
styles of patents.  It's a bit too late for the US, but maybe if we
have concrete examples of the benefits of limiting patents then there
might be hope for the future.  And if things get too bad here, I'd
like to have somewhere pleasant to emigrate to. ;)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International