What's so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Sun Jan 30 06:30:03 EST 2005

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>  Fine.  Go build a sumo distribution and track the normal CPython.
>  The problem isn't all that new.  (Take a look at scipy.org for one
>  take on that theme.  Of course Linux distros have been doing their
>  take on this forever.)

If I'm writing code just for fun. I'll be doing on Debian Linux, then
I can do

  apt-get install python-crypto

and I'm away.

However if I'm writing code for work, it has to work on windows as
well, which introduces a whole extra barrier to using 3rd party
modules.  Something else to compile.  Something else to stick in the
installer.  Basically a whole heap of extra work.

I think one of the special things about Python is its batteries
included approach, and a crypto library would seem to be an obvious
battery to install since it doesn't (or needn't) depend on any other
library or application.