Python evolution: Unease

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 6 20:09:08 EST 2005

"Paul Rubin" <"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7x652bnhx0.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...

> If I have a 400 gig hard drive, I don't see why I need 99.99% of it
> empty instead of 99.0% after I do my OS install.

Even though I currently only have 80 megs (about the minimum one can
currently buy), I've about decided you are right.  Having just installed a
3 CD game last night, I realize that my stinginess with disk space for more
serious stuff is obsolete.  (My first hard disk was 5 or 10 megs.)  A
gigabyte would cover Python + Wxpython + numarray + scipy + pygame + a lot
of other stuff.

Would it be possible, at least for Windows, to write a Python script
implementing a 'virtual distribution'?  IE, download Python, install it,
download next package, install it, etc.  -- prefereably table driven?

Terry J. Reedy