Python Operating System???

Arich Chanachai macrocosm at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 6 21:08:06 EST 2005

Roose wrote:

>What exactly do you mean by an operating system?
>
>If you don't want to program in C/C++ then you're going to have a hard time.
>I don't want to be too discouraging, but with that attitude I doubt you
>would get very far.

Indeed, this is very true.

>It sounds like you want to make more of an OS shell -- no?  You can
>implement a shell on top of any OS and probably do it in a language like
>Python.

He should just build around a linux core or use OS kit (if he is
serious/determined).

>But if it is going to be a complete OS in pure Python, uh, it won't be!
>You'll have to do a lot of stuff in C, at the least interface with the
>hardware.

He could use something like O' caml or Oz no?  I might be confused, but
I understood them to be C/C++ comparable in terms of power and in that
they both compile vs. VMs and interpreters (for O' caml this is optional
I think).  Or what about D?