rotor replacement

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Sat Jan 22 04:30:07 EST 2005

Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
>  Here's the message I had in mind:
>
>   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/adfbec9f4d7300cc
>
>  It came from someone who follows Python crypto issues as closely as
>  anyone, and refers to a consensus on python-dev.  I'm not on python-dev
>  myself but I feel that the author of that message is credible and is
>  not just "anyone".

And here is the relevant part...

"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:01:08 -0800 Trevor Perrin wrote:
> > Are you and Paul still looking at adding ciphers to stdlib? That would
> > make me really, really happy :-)....
>
> No, unfortunately; the python-dev consensus was that encryption raised
> export control issues, and the existing rotor module is now on its way to
> being removed.

I'm sure thats wrong now-a-days.  Here are some examples of open
source software with strong crypto

  Linux kernel: http://www.kernel.org/
  GNU crypto project: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-crypto/
  TryCrypt: http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
  OpenSSL: http://www.openssl.org/
  AEScrypt: http://aescrypt.sourceforge.net/
  <lots more here!>

Note that some of these are being worked on at sourceforge just like
python.

Surely it must be possible to add a few simple crypto modules to
python?

That said
a) IANAL
b) 'apt-get install python-crypto' works for me ;-)