Tuple size and memory allocation for embedded Python

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jan 21 17:38:03 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 17:20 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
> Jinming Xu wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Python seems unstable, when allocating big memory.  For example, the
> > following C++ code creates a tuple of tuples:
> >
> >  PyObject* arCoord = PyTuple_New(n);
> >  double d = 1.5;
> >  for(int i=0; i<n; i++)
> >    {
> >      PyObject* coord = PyTuple_New(2);
> >      PyTuple_SetItem(coord,0, PyFloat_FromDouble(d));//x
> >      PyTuple_SetItem(coord,1, PyFloat_FromDouble(d));//y
> >      PyTuple_SetItem(arCoord,i, coord);
> >    }
> >
> > When the n is small, say 100, the code works fine.  when n is big, say
> > 10,000, Python has trouble allocating memory, saying:
> >
> > "Exception exceptions.IndexError: 'tuple index out of range' in 'garbage
> > collection' ignored
> > Fatal Python error: unexpected exception during garbage collection
> > Aborted"
> >
> > Could anyone please give me some insight or a fix for this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your answer.
> >
> I'm going to guess that the problem is related to incorrect reference
> counts.

It's usually a safe bet, after all. Another biggie is unchecked return
codes leaving the exception state set, though... that can cause _really_
_weird_ problems. ALWAYS check return values.

> I don't see any IncRefs in there.

In this case it looks OK. PyFloat_FromDouble() reuturns a new reference,
as does PyTuple_New(), and PyTuple_SetItem() steals a reference to its
PyObject* argument.

Of course, there could be refcount errors outside the shown code
segment, but in this case I'd say the immediate error will be because of
an unhandled exception. As to why that exception is being thrown....

Also, forget my comment in my last post about not resizing - I'd failed
to notice the initial creation size of the tuple (the creation of which
isn't checked, but would segfault the app on failure).

> Python is pretty stable, so it's usually best to suspect our own code
> unless you're heavily into using the C API (which I'm not, so feel free
> to ignore me).

That's been my experience - stability issues in my Python/C code have
almost always come down to refcounting bugs and/or failing to detect and
handle or propagate an exception.

--
Craig Ringer