is python more popular than coldfusion?

Premshree Pillai premshree.pillai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 08:21:22 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:09:54 +0800, worzel <asda at sdarta.com> wrote:
> How seriuosly do folk take the TIOBE index? Is it a good way to ague what
> you should be keeping up to speed with or just a 'vague' guide?

I use the TIOBE index -- sometimes -- when I give presentations on
Python (and Ruby) to people who haven't heard of the languages.

The index is not something to be relied upon (take a look at the
calculation mechanism). However, more often than not, the indices
seems to reflect what *I* perceive the indices are in reality. So I
kinda use them.

The thing about introducing a "new" language to a bunch of folks used
to their "favorite" language is that they wouldn't care much for a
language it isn't popular, or if it isn't "growing in popularity".

Beyond these things, I don't think anybody uses the index. I mean I
wouldn't tell people to learn languages that hold the top position on
TIOBE ;).