seperating GUI from other code + reports

flupke flupke at nonexistingdomain.com
Thu Jan 13 08:08:33 EST 2005

Hi,

i need to develop an app here which will be used to produce stats.
I'm going to go with twisted pb for the client server communication.
And wxPython for the GUI.

Now i would want to split the GUI code from the pb code to make
debugging easier amongst other things but i'm not sure how i would best
implement the communication of between the GUI and the client.
Do i also use pb for it? But then i would end up with the problems that
some users have reported here that wxPython and pb have.
This would look like this, where GUI and CLIENT are off course on the
same machine.

GUI     pb      CLIENT     pb       SERVER
    <----------->      <----------->

1) Any thoughts about this or other methods of doing this or reason why
i should not bother with this setup?

2) I will display the results of the query in a list of grid on the
client. But then the users are going to want to print the results.
Are there any tools that provide a way of printing queries or that
provide a mechanism to build reports based on tables?
The easiest way i can do it now is to make a html of the results and
then opening a browser with that html page using popen.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Benedict