video analysis with python

Ashot ashot at removethismolsoft.com
Sat Jan 15 19:23:26 EST 2005

Hi,

	I need to write a video analysis tool which extracts statistics from
microsocope video.  Essentially what I need is to translate the video data
into numerical matrices. I have been using Python for the past 1.5 years
anytime I could for absolutely everything, because it has every library
imaginable... Alas, I can not find a library for decoding video/using
codecs.  The only solution I have been able to come up with is to create
an image sequence and load those in with PIL, however this is not really
feasible as the images are too large (nor is it proffessional).

	Is there a library or project that I have missed, or is there a way to
incorporate something like vfw.lib directly?  If there isn't I think this
would be a pretty large whole in Python's arsenal.  Thanks in advance for
any help.

--
Ashot Petrosian
University of Texas at Austin, Computer Sciences