Python & unicode

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:57:52 EST 2005

Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non triviale en fuite
perpétuelle. wrote:
> Hi !

> argument.
>
> I understand, but I have a feeling of attempt at hegemony.  Is
english
> language really least-common-denominator for a russian who writes
into
> cyrillic, or not anglophone chinese?

I don't know about Chinese but English *is* the least common
denominator for native Russian software developers, there are a lot of
reasons for that:

- to switch between Russian keyboard layout and English keyboard you
need to press a switch key or usually even two keys (at the same time).
Since language syntax and library calls are in English you have to
switch often. Very often you forget what is the current keyboard layout
and start typing in wrong one and you have to delete the garbage, hit
switch key and type it again. If it happens ten times every ten minutes
it will drive you crazy.

- Most of native Russian developers graduated from universities or
institutes. They attended hundreds of hours of math and physics
classes. All these classes use latin notation.

- Any serious local sw development job application mentions "Technical
English" as requirement. It means you're expected to read technical
documents in English.

- At the same time majority of native Russians developers do not speak
English very well and they feel they need more English practice. Using
English identifiers is a chance to practice while you work.

- The amount of useful information in English is much greater than in
Russian, thanks to Internet.

Surprised? :)

  Serge.