lambda

John Lenton john at grulic.org.ar
Tue Jan 18 09:22:13 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:20:01PM +0000, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 2005-01-17, John Lenton schreef <john at grulic.org.ar>:
> >
> > knowledgeable and experienced users know when to ignore the rules.
>
> Then why seems there to be so few acknowledgement that these rules
> may indeed be broken by users. My experience is that anyone who suggests
> so runs the risk of being branded a (python) heretic.

First you learn the basics, then you think you're knowledgeable and
experienced, then you learn the rules, then you become one with the
rules, and then you may break them.

Most people suggesting these things haven't gotten past step #3. Using
Craig's parallel to C's goto, every and all newbie using gotos should
be lambasted: even if the use might be correct for the problem they
are trying to solve, the reasons for its correctness are far too
complex for them to grasp. But really, in practically any system, the
rules are generalizations, and they exist because the particulars are
too delicate to trust the unexperienced. The small print is
unprintable.

He dicho.

--
John Lenton (john at grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Yo siempre seré el futuro Nobel. Debe ser una tradición escandinava.