What's so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 30 03:46:51 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Oh, ok.  Earlier you said you wanted user feedback before you could
> conclude that there was reason to want an AES module at all.

I believe I never said that. I said that I wanted user feedback to
determine whether *this* AES module (where this is either your
from-scratch implementation, or any other specific implementation
contributed) is desirable.

> Hmm, this is very very interesting.  I am highly confident that all
> the purely technical questions (i.e. everything about the API and the
> code quality, etc.) can converge to a consensus-acceptable solution
> without much hassle.  I had thought there were insurmountable
> obstacles of a nontechnical nature, mainly caused by legal issues, and
> that these are beyond any influence that I might have by writing or
> releasing anything.

These obstacles are indeed real. But I believe they are not
unsurmountable. For example, there is the valid complaint that,
in order to export the code from SF, we need to follow U.S.
export laws. 10 years ago, these would have been unsurmountable.
Today, it is still somewhat painful to comply with these laws,
but this is what the PSF is for, which can fill out the forms
necessary to allow exporting this code from the U.S.A.

Regards,
Martin