What YAML engine do you use?

Doug Holton a at b.c
Sat Jan 22 14:18:57 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>

>>IMHO that's a bit extreme.  Specifications are written to be detailed, so
>>consequently they're torture to read.  Seen the ReStructured Text spec
>>lately?
>

> I've read many specs; YAML (both the spec and the format) is easily
> among the worst ten-or-so specs I've ever seen.

What do you expect?  YAML is designed for humans to use, XML is not.
YAML also hasn't had the backing and huge community behind it like XML.
XML sucks for people to have to write in, but is straightforward to
parse.  The consequence is hordes of invalid XML files, leading to
necessary hacks like the mark pilgrim's universal rss parser.  YAML
flips the problem around, making it harder perhaps to implement a
universal parser, but better for the end-user who has to actually use
it.  More people need to work on improving the YAML spec and
implementing better YAML parsers.  We've got too many XML parsers as it is.