hash patent by AltNet; Python is prior art?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 14:56:54 EST 2005

GerritM <gmuller at worldonline.nl> wrote:

> How can this type of fundamental knowledge be patented? I am afraid this is
> again an example of a total failure of the current patent system.

As a European citizen, you have a chance to make a difference to
software patentability in Europe -- think globally, act locally.  The
Netherlands are a crucial country in the ongoing battle against software
patents.  Get active!  <http://swpat.ffii.org/> -- we have won major
battles over the last 4+ years and we'll need to win quite a few more to
break the back of this ugly beast forever.  A future where the US and
other major SW development countries such as India have saddled
themselves with this absurdity, and Europe has freed itself of it, is
THE best competitive hope to make Europe into the hotbed of software
development and IT innovation in the next generation.  Personally, I'm
neither patriotic nor competitive, so I'd rather look forward to a world
entirely free of this blight -- but hey, where I can make a difference
is HERE, so, HERE is where I act.

Alex