Reaching the real world

Alejandro Weinstein aweinstein at vtr.net
Tue Jan 4 18:40:50 EST 2005

On 4 Jan 2005 at 6:55, Fuzzyman wrote:

> What I'd like is an electronic interface that connects to several
> relays and a python extension module to switch on and off the relays.
> I've had a quick google and can't see anything too similar to what I
> want. pyro (python robotics) seems to require expensive (relatively)
> robotic equipment.

Look at pyParallel (http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyparallel.html)
to control the parallel port. From the parallel port you can control
external devices. Please note that you will need to add a transistor
to control a relay.

There is also pySerial, (http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/) to control
the serial port. If you know how to use a microcontroller (AVR, PIC,
8031, etc) you can communicate with it through the sereial port, and
let the micro control the "real world".

Regards,
Alejandro.