What YAML engine do you use?

rm rm at rm.net
Sat Jan 22 15:00:04 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> "rm" <rm at rm.net> wrote:
>

>>100% right on, stuff (like this)? should be easy on the users, and if possible, on the developers,
>>not the other way around.
>

> I guess you both stopped reading before you got to the second paragraph
> in my post.  YAML (at least the version described in that spec) isn't easy on
> users; it may look that way at a first glance, and as long as you stick to a
> small subset, but it really isn't.  that's not just bad design, that's plain evil.
>
> and trust me, when things are hard to get right for developers, users will
> suffer too.
>
> </F>

you stopped reading too early as well, I guess:
"maybe their stated goal is not reached with this implementation of
their idea"

and the implementation being the spec,

furthermore, "users will suffer too", I'm suffering if I have to use
C++, with all its exceptions and special cases.

BTW, I pickpocketed the idea that if there is a choice where to put the
complexity, you never put it with the user. "pickpocket" is strong, I've
learned it from an analyst who was 30 years in the business, and I
really respect the guy, basically he was always right and right on. On
the other hand, the management did not always like what he thought :-)

bye,
rm