PythonWin (build 203) for Python 2.3 causes Windows 2000 to grind to a halt?

Chris P. chris.peressotti at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 27 14:47:53 EST 2005

I've been having a problem with PythonWin that seemed to start
completely spontaneously and I don't even know where to START to find
the answer.  The only thing I can think of that marks the point
between "PythonWin works fine" and "PythonWin hardly every works fine"
was that I changed the size of my Virtual Paging file, noticing that
it was too small (I currently have a P4 with 1G of RAM).  I tried
returning it to its original (smaller) size, but it didn't fix the
problems.

The first time I noticed it, I was using PythonWin and then
right-clicked on My Computer to use "Explore".  Instead of the usual
full listing (approx 10 items), I got a mini-listing of 4 items.
Then, after clicking "Explore", I either don't get a new window at all
OR I get a strange file explorer that won't let me look at files,
won't let me copy files, etc.  The "mini-lising" thing also happens if
I click the "Start" button while PythonWin is open.

Another problem is trying to open another program while PythonWin is
running - generally, the program will not start, but I also don't get
any kind of error popping up on the screen.  My request is just
ignored (although I sometimes get a "system beep".)  If I already have
other programs open and then open PythonWin, my menu bar might refuse
to function.  Is it significant that, when the menu bar IS working,
the drop-down menu fades in quite slowly, instead of popping up
immediately?

At the end of this message, I've pasted a screen dump of a message I
get when I try to open a file and I've got other apps open (note that
I can have very few, non-memory intensive apps open and I still get
it).

Thanks for any help you can give,

- Chris

[SCREEN DUMP AFTER I TRY TO OPEN A .PY FILE]
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\mfc\docview.py",
line 91, in CreateNewFrame
    wnd.LoadFrame(self.GetResourceID(), -1, None, context)	# triggers
OnCreateClient...
win32ui: LoadFrame failed

win32ui: CreateNewFrame() virtual handler (<bound method
SyntEditTemplate.CreateNewFrame of
<pywin.framework.editor.color.coloreditor.SyntEditTemplate instance at
0x01193F30>>) raised an exception
TypeError: PyCTemplate::CreateNewFrame must return a PyCFrameWnd
object.