removing comments form a file

Noud Aldenhoven jwaixs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 08:35:09 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how to remove comments away form a file.
So that's why I made this script.

===============================
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import string
import time

helptext = "usage: python rmcomment [oldfile] [newfile] [comment]"

def rmcomment(oldfile, newfile, comment):
    oldfile = open(oldfile, 'r')
    newfile = open(newfile, 'w')
    ccount = 0
    lcount = 0
    for line in oldfile.readlines():
        splitline = string.split(line)
        pstest = 0
        fileline = ""
        for word in splitline:
            if word[:2] == comment:
                pstest = -1
                ccount += 1
                pass
            elif pstest == -1:
                pass
            else:
                fileline += word + " "
        if len(fileline) == 0:
            pass
        else:
            newfile.write(fileline + "\n")
            lcount += 1
    print "Done... in %s seconds\nRemoved comment from %s lines\nWrote %
lines to %s" % (time.time()-start , ccount, lcount, newfile)
    raw_input("Push the enter button to quit>")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    if sys.argv[1] == "-h" or sys.argv[1] == "-help":
        print helptext
    else:
        start = time.time()
        oldfile = sys.argv[1]
        newfile = sys.argv[2]
        comment = sys.argv[3]
        rmcomment(oldfile, newfile, comment)

This script works fine with standard text files. An example is this one:

example.txt:

Hello Fuckin' World //how are you doing today
//I think it delete this sentence and the next sentence too!

But this one not! #Even not this comment

end example.txt

If I use my script, named rmcomment.py I get this:

jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$ cat example.txt
Hello Fuckin' World //how are you doing today
//I think it delete this sentence and the next sentence too!

But this one not! #Even not this comment's
jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$ python rmcomment.py
example.txt newexample.txt //
Done... in 0.00104999542236 seconds
Removed comment from 2 lines
Wrote  2nes to <open file 'newexample.txt', mode 'w' at 0x403e1c60>
Push the enter button to quit>
jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$ cat newexample.txt
Hello Fuckin' World
But this one not! #Even not this comment
jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$

works fine... but here's my problem. If I use rmcomment.py also the
whitelines will be removed. And I don't want that to happen. Here's another
example:

jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$ cat otherexample.txt
//This shows what whitelines are doing here
       left from me is a nice white line tabs
            and here left are at least 3 white line tabs

//and ofcourse, comments will be deleted
jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$ python rmcomment.py
otherexample.txt newotherexample.txt //
Done... in 0.0011351108551 seconds
Removed comment form 2 lines
Wrote  2nes to <open file 'newotherexample.txt', mode 'w' at 0x403e1c60>
Push the enter button to quit>
jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$ cat newotherexample.txt
left from me is a nice white line tabs
and here left are at least 3 white line tabs
jwaixs at linux:~/programmeren/python/rmcomment$

My beautiful whitelines are gone! And I don't want that!
I've thaught how to fix this for a time, but I can't make it on my own. Too
less programming experiance, I'm afraid.
Could someone help me with this problem? Or fix the script or give a hint or
something?

Thank you at least for reading this post,

Noud Aldenhoven
The Netherlands (In de beurt bij Nijmegen, voor de nieuwschierigen)

ps. Yes, I'm a Dyslextion and can't write correct english. I'm sorry for
that.