when self-absorbed narcissists discover usenet [ was: how to write a tutorial ]

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 26 15:26:57 EST 2005

Brian van den Broek wrote:

> Terry Reedy said unto the world upon 2005-01-26 14:08:
>
>> Xah the arrogant wrote, among other things,
>

> <SNIP>
>
>> However, there are several errors in the above that would mislead a
>> Python learner.  I advise any such to ignore Xah's writings.
>>
>> Terry J. Reedy
>

> Hi all,
>
> here's a thought:
>
> There isn't any doubt that these 'tutorials' are generally unwelcome
> and unhelpful. Numerous people have kindly taken the time to flag some
> of the problems. So much so that any competent google of the archives
> would quickly reveal the group consensus on their instructional merit.
>
> I submit that continued corrections and advice of this sort are
> counter-productive. I understand the good intentions behind the
> corrections. (Indeed, my own level of Python-fu is such that it is
> possible that I might have been mislead the 'tutorials' without these
> corrections; I thus appreciate the correctors' efforts.) But, such
> corrections are troll-food and make it unlikely that the 'game' of
> posting such tutorials will soon loose its magical power to amuse the
> OP. They all but ensure that there will be more such 'tutorials' to
> correct.

<snip>

I couldn't agree with you more.  *However*, when the person posting is
self-absorbed to the extent that he doesn't realize that others exist
and don't give a crap about their wishes or discomforts, it puts you in
a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.  I honestly think
that we're stuck with the inane ramblings of Xah Lee regardless of
whether we feed his trolling or ignore him.  But I do think that
responding to him in order to preach some sense into him is futile.  He
is right about everything and can't be swayed by the likes of us mere
mortals.  So, ignore him, post responses for the benefit of others out
there, entertain yourself by pointing out to yourself and others his
folly, but don't waste your time replying back to him and trying to talk
sense.  Like I said, we're stuck with him.

Jeremy