Python evolution: Unease

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 13:25:37 EST 2005

Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - IDE: Better than what? Than IDLE? Than Eclipse? Than SPE? Than Pythonwin?
>
> I would like to seee Eric3, with some polish & opensourced on Win
> (which means solving the Qt licensing problem). Perhaps someone could
> convince Trolltech to release a special Qt Win version just for it
> (Eric3). Eclipse is also an interesting approach.

I love eric3, but if you're an eclipse fan, look at enthought's
"envisage" IDE -- it seems to me that it has superb promise.

> wish I could simply plug & play DBAPI modules in a totally seamlessly
> way. Anyone who tried know how far are we of this dream.

If you manage to get there, you'll start fighting against the different
dialects of SQL supported by the various back-ends, as is well known by
anybody who tried, say, ODBC or ADO, which do manage good plug&play of
their components but still can't solve the real hard one:-(

Alex