Python evolution: Unease

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 6 08:50:44 EST 2005

Aahz wrote:

> In article <1104831798.408560.228940 at c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>  <michele.simionato at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Maybe a PSF grant would help? I guess this has been considered ...
>

> The first three PSF grants were all in some way not directly related to
> changing the core language.  One was for a library, one for improving
> Jython, and one for improving docs.  Giving the PSF more money increases
> the chances for additional work.

I would, however, like to make the point that the Foundation is much
more likely to fund work that actually gets proposed for a grant, since
the officers don't generally have the time to inspire teams and promote
specific topics. So if a bunch of like-minded people wanted to get
together to propose a specific set of changes, it would then at least be
possible to consider such changes for funding.

There's also a lot of good work that goes on unfunded, of course, and I
wouldn't like to see the grants process subvert such public-spirited
efforts in any way. So there's nothing to stop a bunch of like-minded
individuals proposing changes anyway, through the existing process.

Lastly, the Foundation has only just started to make grants, and so we
need a little time to see how the existing projects go before we can
evaluate the success or failure of the process (at least on the existing
projects, whose outcomes may or may not be related to the grant process).

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119