Speed revisited

Bulba! bulba at bulba.com
Mon Jan 10 11:52:42 EST 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:51:47 GMT, Andrea Griffini <agriff at tin.it>
wrote:

>>Tip 1: Once you have data in memory, don't move it, move a pointer or
>>index over the parts you are inspecting.
>>
>>Tip 2: Develop an abhorrence of deleting data.
>
>I've to admit that I also found strange that deleting the
>first element from a list is not O(1) in python. My wild
>guess was that the extra addition and normalization required
>to have insertion in amortized O(1) and deletion in O(1) at
>both ends of a random access sequence was going to have
>basically a negligible cost for normal access (given the
>overhead that is already present in python).

Smth similar happened here - I _assumed_ that since lists in
Python can hold arbitrary objects, the low level C implementation
was smth like "array" of pointers to those objects (or offsets of
those objects stored elsewhere).

If so, deleting an element from a list would merely be deleting a
pointer (or zeroing particular offset to get this object "released"),
which would have negligible cost.

I've read that Python's memory management technique
is 'reference counting' - it would seem only logical that
the list is an array (or linked list or linked list of arrays
maybe, as it can grow in size arbitrarily) of such